5 Best Games of All Time

The world of big box, high power, mouse strafing gaming - from PC to Mac - and their jacked up, big screen, thumb tiring brothers in arms - from Xbox to Wii

Moderators: Bill, Eloysius, cromley

5 Best Games of All Time

Postby Tsumari » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:15 am

The discussion of Mass Effect in the 1337 thread brought this up for me. In the annals of TC forum history, such a topic may have already existed at one point... but times change.

What would you say are the 5 best video games ever made? You can list a franchise if you wish, but nominating one game above others is preferred as games in a series (such as Legend of Zelda) can be vastly disparate in quality.

Here are mine, in no particular order:

Mass Effect 2
If we were going by individual games, Mass Effect might be on here as well, but I'll let the more recent installment speak for the series as I found it superior to the first. This is just an amazing game in so many ways. Fantastic story, fantastic writing, fantastic voice acting, unparalleled (for me) attachment to the player character, and my personal favorite RPG combat system of all time.
If you reallly twisted my arm and made me pick a #1 favorite game ever, this would be my knee-jerk reaction.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Regarded by many publications as the best game ever made-- and deservedly so, for the most part. Few games have as many memorable moments as this, and no game beats it in the amount of total completions I've gone through (currently 6.) The series as a whole deserves a nod, but none made more of an impact on me than Ocarina.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Bioware, again. Not much of a shock, as I'd say they are without peer the best game developer out there. Dragon Age: Origins only misses this list by a hair, and then only because I didn't want to put 3/5 games by the same company. Not only do I agree with the masses that KotOR is better than the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy, I think it's better than any cinematic adaptation of Star Wars. It was the first RPG to make me really, deeply care about the characters and the struggles they went through.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Yep, I liked it better than Oblivion. For one thing, it was the first open-world game of its type I ever played, and the premise just seemed too good to be true from the get-go. The world also felt more real and open, largely because all of the cities were on the world map without Oblivion's pesky loading screens (although there is a mod that fixes that.) The story was also much more engaging, I felt. Your character in Oblivion is about as important to the story as Lando Calrisian is to Star Wars: essential to winning the war, but still relegated to the background on the DVD box art. In Morrwind, you WERE the central character; the proverbial Skywalker of the story. Also, Oblivion's storyline didn't develop your character as a character.
Also, Oblivion had an expansion with werewolves. Playable werewolves. In the book of T.J., that's Game, Set, Match.

Starcraft II
It's hard to pick a favorite Blizzard game-- it ultimately came down between this and Warcraft 3. The story, writing, and voice acting is near-Bioware quality. And the game is fun as hell. What more could you ask for? I don't even really play multiplayer anymore, but even on the campaign alone this game makes it onto the list.

Honorable Mentions:
Warcraft Franchise
Dragon Age: Origins
Oblivion
...and probably quite a few others.

For the most part, it comes down to the three Bs: Blizzard, Bethesda, Bioware.
I am T.J., and yes, I did really call Ask Karg from my cell phone, in the woods, at night.
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." — Harry Dresden
Tsumari

Re: 5 Best Games of All Time

Postby Azunai » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 am

Your forgetting the original Half-Life :D
Azunai

Postby Tsumari » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:40 pm

That one wouldn't make my list... but the intention of the thread was to have everyone chime in.

So you like Half Life, what are your other four? And why?
I am T.J., and yes, I did really call Ask Karg from my cell phone, in the woods, at night.
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." — Harry Dresden
Tsumari

Postby Azunai » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:08 pm

This is a rather hard question for me as I play too many games and consider many to be insanely good.
I am also a game studies student, so playing a game and calling it my favorite would then require me to be skeptical about it, and i would lose favor in it! :D

If you make a best in genre thread fair enough, but overall that is way to hard for me.
Azunai

Postby bluekornchips » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:33 pm

1. Mass Effect Series
2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Warcraft Series
4. Majoras Mask
5. Half -Life 2
TC4LYFE
bluekornchips
TavernCast LuvR (Subscriber)

Postby esamenoi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:55 am

1 Jak and Daxter (series - is that allowed?) PS2
2 World of Warcraft - This is the game I have played the most and always come back to.
3 Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
4 Warcraft III
5 BF2142
esamenoi

Postby Rale » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Such a hard question, but I'll throw some of my top games out here.

StarCraft 2

I think if I'd played StarCraft 1 like I have done SC2, I'd put that up here, but as it stands it took SC2 to really change my perspective on gaming. I'd always heard about "e-sports", and to be honest the idea seemed kind of ridiculous - who would want to watch other people play video games, and who the hell would sponsor tournaments and put up prize money? And now, here I am, after about 9/10 months since I got into the Beta, and I honestly watch much more StarCraft than I do play it. TeamLiquid is my new go-to place when I'm bored, and I love the community and pro-scene. Hell, I even competed in a local SC tournament a few weeks ago. :)

Dragon Age: Origins

It seems that few people rave about this game as much as I do, but it's probably the most engaging RPG I've ever played (That said, I haven't played ME), and I've completed it several times now. Great voice acting and engaging characters, amazing story, fun gameplay, just an incredible game all-round.

Fallout 3

Also a fantastic RPG, but obviously with a slightly different flavour than DA:O. I can't get enough of post-apocalyptic fiction, so you can see where the idea of wandering around the wastelands of DC would appeal to me, especially when they throw in cool touches like still recognisable but extremely worn landmarks. Also got an awesome story and great gameplay, this is another one I've played through repeatedly just to experience all the different possibilities.

Half-LIfe 2

I know a lot of people prefer the original over the sequel, but like I said - I'm a sucker for bleak, dystopian futures. Both of them are great games, but I think where HL2 surpasses it's predecessor is in the much wider variety of levels. I mean, I love Black Mesa and all, but travelling across beaches and through infested villages, assaulting citadels and prison complexes, that's just so much more awesome to me.

World of Warcraft

It seems kind of out of place next to these other games, but the simple fact of the matter is that I've played WoW more than any other game in existence. Sometimes it's a repetitive grind, and I have a tendency to just stop playing for months and months at a time when I get bored of it, but the world is just something else. The lore is so rich, and where in other games, like DA:O, you might finding yourself hungering for more content that just isn't there, you can always just drop into WoW take a walk through an amazingly vibrant and dynamic world. "But Rale", you might say, "that's just a feature of MMOs, what makes WoW stand out over games like LOTRO or City of Heroes?". Well, can anyone honestly say that those games even come close to touching WoW? I know it has it's haters, and some of the people can be a chore, but I'll be damned if it isn't one of those most fun, engaging and repeatedly rewarding games ever made.

As Tsumari says, it's the 3 Bs again - Bethesda, Bioware and Blizzard, with a side order of Valve. I'd say these 4 are the most consistently impressive game companies out there, and I always look forward to their new releases.
Rale

Postby esamenoi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 pm

You just nailed why I put WoW up there. I have spent WEEKS, playing it. How can it not be there?!
esamenoi

Return to PC, Mac and Console Gaming