StarCraft 2

The world of big box, high power, mouse strafing gaming - from PC to Mac - and their jacked up, big screen, thumb tiring brothers in arms - from Xbox to Wii

Moderators: Bill, Eloysius, cromley

Re: StarCraft 2

Postby Tsumari » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:29 am

bluekornchips wrote:Playing as Random really makes you think on your feet I think for both players.

I'll be perfectly honest- I can't play random. If there was a "Terran or Protoss, surprise me" button, sure. But I'm just so bad with zerg it's not even funny, and I'm not super motivated at the moment to get better with them. I think I'll wait for Heart of the Swarm for that. :P
I am T.J., and yes, I did really call Ask Karg from my cell phone, in the woods, at night.
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." — Harry Dresden
Tsumari

Postby bluekornchips » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:07 am

Tsumari wrote:
bluekornchips wrote:Playing as Random really makes you think on your feet I think for both players.

I'll be perfectly honest- I can't play random. If there was a "Terran or Protoss, surprise me" button, sure. But I'm just so bad with zerg it's not even funny, and I'm not super motivated at the moment to get better with them. I think I'll wait for Heart of the Swarm for that. :P

Or at least 1.2 :wink:

The greatest win ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbSodiGyABg
TC4LYFE
bluekornchips
TavernCast LuvR (Subscriber)

Postby Rale » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:15 am

bluekornchips wrote:The greatest win ever.

Man I love Huk :lol:

TheLittleOne is just in a league of his own though, skip to around 16:50 in this video and watch that match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIcIKheklh0

Easily the best game I've ever seen. Talk about rapid fire decision making :P
Rale

Postby Tsumari » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:49 am

TLO is easily my favorite player to watch- especially when he plays someone that gets easily angered like IdrA. He not only wins almost all of the time, he wins in a way that is creative and entertaining.
I am T.J., and yes, I did really call Ask Karg from my cell phone, in the woods, at night.
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." — Harry Dresden
Tsumari

Postby bluekornchips » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:04 am

Rale wrote:
bluekornchips wrote:The greatest win ever.

Man I love Huk :lol:

TheLittleOne is just in a league of his own though, skip to around 16:50 in this video and watch that match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIcIKheklh0

Easily the best game I've ever seen. Talk about rapid fire decision making :P

Wow. That was incredible.
TC4LYFE
bluekornchips

Postby Rale » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 pm

Huge necro, but I figure there's no real point starting a new thread for it, especially considering how empty these forums are now. :(

So Blizzcon brought about some interesting new information concerning Heart of the Swarm, as I'm sure you're aware if you still follow SC2, and I have to say I found most of it to be pretty ridiculous.

A quick rundown of my thoughts:

Zerg -

Swarm Host is pretty cool, basically bringing back the lurker from Brood War, although in my opinion they should make the attack EXACTLY like the lurker as opposed to spawning units.
    The Viper is interesting, although the grappling hook nonsense will hopefully never go through, especially with tales from Blizzcon of people just chainpulling a thor all the way back to their main.
    The new corruptor ability to channel damage vs buildings is meh. Can't see it really being used much because the DPS is so low.
    Hydra speed upgraded is much needed.
    Burrowed movement for banelings is ridiculous.
    Burrow charge for ultralisks is ridiculous.

Protoss -

Replicant is stupid and I don't see how it could possibly be balanced.
    The Oracle seems like easy mode harassment for protoss, since no-one seems to be able to manage it consistently and competently despite the warp prism buff. I don't really get the whole "check what structures are building" thing because usually it's fairly obvious what they're going for simply by looking at their tech/unit composition, but as a whole I don't really mind the Oracle.
    The Tempest seems completely unnecessary. I actually really really dislike the the splash damage vs light air, because such a rock hard counter to mutalisks just seems to be pushing the game towards rock, paper, scissors. Just like mech Terran play is completely unviable vs Protoss, mutas will be removed from the match-up too, and we'll see less and less diversity in strategies.
    Carriers should be kept.
    Don't particularly care about the Mothership removal.
    Nexus recall is monumentally retarded, even if it does require a Fleet Beacon. Arbiters and recall worked fine in Brood War because Protoss couldn't just rely on a massive deathball to win games, but if it goes through for HotS I genuinely can't imagine how it would be possible to beat a late-game Protoss. While other races have to harass and use hit and run tactics to deny bases, Protoss could simply 1a into expansions then recall out over and over again, making it impossible to stay even in economy. Plus, you'll never be able to harass Protoss again because they can just recall a portion of their army directly to the nexus if their expansion comes under attack. Stupid.
    From what I hear, the Nexus ability to turn any building into a makeshift cannon is pretty useless as it does absolutely no damage. That's fine by me, although I don't really get the point of it in the first place. It just means you wouldn't even have to build a forge in order to cannon rush people.

Terran -

Don't see the point in Battle Hellions at all.
    Warhound/Goliath is decent, it might actually help in making mech a bit more viable vs Protoss.
    Shredder seems like it would be massively imbalanced. Drop a single shredder into a mineral line and you'll get a harassment unit ten times as cost effective as blue flame hellions, and people already complained about those so much they had to get nerfed. Also, depending on where it comes in the tech tree, it essentially forces roaches early game from Zerg, which again just removes diversity from the game. Plus, I'm assuming it's factory tech, so you can easily transition straight into tanks and hard, hard counter the roaches.
    Making Thor a "hero" unit is stupid. It didn't work with the mothership, and it won't work with the thor.
    Ghost cloak change is weird. On one hand, the not draining energy thing is a bit ridiculous, but I'd like to see how long the ability will actually last for before I pass judgement.
    Battlecruiser temporary speed boost ability is pretty cool. Makes BCs a bit more viable.
    Reapers regenerating health is obscene. Even if they don't do tons of damage to buildings, fast reapers will be able to do crazy amounts of damage to zerg with decent micro.

Misc -

More collapsible rocks that you can destroy to close paths behind you. I'm a bit conflicted about these - it's a neat idea, but as a whole I'm not a fan of anything that actively prevents micro.
    Pylons built on low ground don't give power to high ground, even if you have vision. AWESOME change, hurts a lot of cheesy strategies.
    New physics is nice, although the viper pull animation looks silly. They'll probably change it if that ability goes through though.

Apart from the new zerg units, the community reaction seems fairly divided, tending towards unfavourable. If you ask me, I don't see how a lot of these proposed units/changes could possibly go through without severely unbalancing the game. I suppose we'll have to just hope Blizzard finds a way to make it all work.

Anyway, for those of you who still play/watch SC2: Any thoughts?
Rale

Previous

Return to PC, Mac and Console Gaming